Green Earth Poets Cafe is always looking for talented and passionate Teaching Artists/Workshop Facilitators to facilitate poetry workshops. If you are interested in working for Green Earth Poets Cafe, please see the opportunities below and follow the instructions listed.
Green Earth Poets Café- Teaching Artist/Workshop Facilitator
This is a part-time position (approximately 2-15 hrs per week)
Green Earth Poets Cafe is a Brooklyn based non-profit organization that is dedicated to providing primarily youth, ages 10-24 creative self-expression opportunities. Through high quality creative writing and performance workshops in schools, juvenile justice facilities, group homes, residential treatment facilities, jails, and other alternative and transitional settings, Green Earth Poets Cafe promotes and develops the inherent potential in children to read, write, and perform contributing to developing self confidence and self esteem. Green Earth Poets Cafe workshops are facilitated by experienced Teaching Artists/Workshop facilitators.
Teaching Artist/ Workshop Facilitator Responsibilities:
- Facilitate approximately 10-session poetry workshops for young people (ages 12-24) in restrictive residential settings, including prisons, group homes and juvenile justice facilities (Green Earth Poets Café) workshops take place in schools and non-school settings, i.e. Jails. Or facilitate 36-session poetry workshops for middle school and elementary school children in school or after-school in under-performing schools in disadvantaged areas.
- Develop lesson plans and prepare materials for each workshop session
- Use a wide variety of techniques to relentlessly engage hard-to-reach, sometimes resistant, young people
- Build and sustain strong, productive working relationships with site staff
- Maintain a high level of flexibility and professionalism at all times
- Collect, organize, and submit participant sign in sheets, surveys, etc.
- Submit written reflections of each workshop session to Green Earth Poets Cafe Program Director on a weekly basis
- Maintain attendance logs of all participants and other required documentation
- Must be able to attend meetings at the Green Earth Poets Cafe office in the Brooklyn, NY
- Seasonal paid trainings (fall, spring, summer) and monthly staff meetings
- Additional meetings with program staff: as necessary, average 3-7 hours per workshop
- Other duties, as necessary
- Experience working with youth in challenging non-school settings (including, but not limited to, jails, juvenile justice facilities, group homes, and drug treatment programs)
- Experience teaching/facilitating poetry/creative writing workshops with adolescents with the ability to motivate these youth
- At least 3 years of facilitation experience
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- Knowledge of and experience in workshop/session planning
- Strong facilitation, writing, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Comfort with solo facilitation if necessary
- Knowledgeable about English, poetry, poetic devices, and analyzing poetry
- Should have a repertoire of successful poetry performance /activities
- Committed to high quality arts programming
- Motivated to teach writing/reading/performing/public speaking and develop youth
- Bilingual (Spanish and English), a plus
- Willing and able to travel throughout New York City
- Enjoy facilitating in non-school settings
Teaching Artists/Workshop facilitators will be paid $25/hr for each 90-min session, plus $25/hr for prep and may bill up to five hours total per workshop session (including workshop, prep, facilitation, reflection and documentation).
If you are interested in applying, send your resume, cover letter, and a sample writing activity that you think would be appropriate for use in a Green Earth Poets Cafe workshop to email@example.com. Please answer the following in your cover letter:
- Why do you want to work with Green Earth Poets Café?
- Tell us how your experience(s) as a teaching artist/workshop facilitator makes you an ideal candidate for this position.
ALL INTERESTED APPLICANTS SHOULD VISIT WWW.greenearthpoetscafe.com, SUBMIT THEIR RESUME, COVER LETTER, AND 90 MINUTE SAMPLE LESSON PLAN TO firstname.lastname@example.org
Green Earth Poets Café employs without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, or any other attribute not related to superior performance